Thursday 28 June 2012

WINE BOTTLE CORK CHAIR



Introducing artist Aaron Kramer of URBAN OBJECTS
Featuring his chair made of corks from wine bottles.

"By exploring the intersection between the found and fabricated in my sculptural work I seek a deeper understanding of the transcendent nature of ordinary objects". Aaron Kramer, Artist









ABOUT THE ARTIST

I have been an artist for as long as I can remember. In kindergarten I drew a chickadee that my teacher did not believe I drew. In 2nd grade I drew a bald eagle that won a prize. By 4th grade I was selling posters I drew for a nickel to friends. By the time I left high school I had done animation, metal working, welding, woodworking and mixed media sculpture. I went to college at NIU outside of Chicago. My BFA was in Visual Communications. Design is really at the root of my work. After a brief career as a Graphic Designer working for a small firm in Chicago, I started my own company. Training on Macs, design of print collateral, logos, advertising and collage/illustrations. In 1988 I left my Design career and circumnavigated the USA on a bicycle returning a year later as an artist. It took me another 2 years after my return to go full time into art making. My career as a working artist took off after I did my first wholesale craft show in Baltimore. A line of objects that were a blend of quirky found object related sculptures and jewelry created a stir. In the first hours of that show I had 70K in orders and struggled with growing a business. The traditional Gallery relationships I had started to develop went by the wayside in exchange for American Craft Galleries, stores and Museum gift shops. I found a real community doing retail and wholesale shows around the country.

My process is akin to my curiosity. I often let it take me where it will. "How does that work?", "what is the process behind that?", "why do I love that?" I like figuring out a problem and solving something in a unique way. I love being in the flow. I present challenges to myself that pit my skill set against a challenge. I sketch. I have always kept a sketchbook. I'm into moleskins these days. I have my sketchbooks from when I was very young. I use this aspect of the process to get it out of my head. I sketch ideas post-facto. Or looking back I have had ideas and inventions that I finally get to at some point. I do work these days for myself. I truly believe you have to have an eye on commerce if you want to survive. I am never afraid to make a piece that I think will sell. But I still have fun. I think the sale for me is very important. I get a bunch of mojo from the client when they love it.

The traditional gallery-artist relationship is just one of many ways in which an artist can make it. For me it was not happening fast enough. That is why I took off in the "Craft" direction. I had a line of 30 objects I produced along with 7 employees at one point. I have shifted my approach in the last 20 years. Now I sell to Architects, Interior and Landscape Designers, Hotels and private individuals. Commissions come in via the internet, retail shows and word of mouth.

My advice to young artists, "Do not expect to be rich. Think in the long view not the meteoric rise (but be ready just in case)."

I was born in 1963 in Park Forest Illinois. I graduated from high school in 1981. College in 1985. I live with my wife and 2 children, 2 dogs, 8 birds, i hamster and 1 fish in Santa Monica, CA.

Visit his website: URBAN OBJECTS

Visit his FACEBOOK page

1 comment: